Skip to main content

Smartstrand (IQ150) carpet laid upstairs

Smartstrand IQ150 as laid, with pilling
Late this morning our carpets were laid and I am pleased to say that our carpet saga has come to what seems to be a happy conclusion.

Our builder, Matt, was on site mid morning vacuuming the upstairs floor for us to remove as much dust as possible before the carpet was laid.

Harvey Norman Floorings subcontractor turned up before lunchtime, about 45 minutes ahead of schedule, and finished within a few hours. 

To lay the carpet, the doors to our robe, linen cupboard and bedroom had to be removed.  They cannot be put back because of the thickness of the carpet, so I will ask Matt to plane a few millimetres off the bottom of each so we can rehang them.

Smartstrand IQ150 after vacuuming
When laid, the carpet is very pilly.  We went to our rental place to collect the vacuum, and it took about 30 to 45 minutes to vacuum it all up.  With another coat being put on our downstairs floorboards and our stairs tomorrow, we were careful to sweep and vacuum the stairs to remove as many loose fibres as possible.

We were left with a few small carpet offcuts that we will keep for repairs, and maybe have them made in to a small rug if there is a useful place for one later.

The carpet feels good underfoot.  We used Harvey Normans medium underlay.  The carpet is a lighter colour than what it appears in these photos; perhaps more of a coffee colour.  Using the same colour in all the upstairs spaces does link them together quite well, creating a unified upstairs space rather than separate rooms.

At this stage we have not noticed any differences in dye colours between the pieces of carpet used, which was part of the original problem we had when it looked like our carpet could either be laid with carpet from different runs, or there would be a substantial delay while we waited for carpet to arrive in Australia from the USA that was of the same batch. We will not have access to the house again until Monday, when we will be able to see the main bedroom in the morning sunlight and be able to look more closely.   However, from looking at it today I am pretty sure all will be good.


  1. Hi I am looking at this carpet now and wondering how you have gone with it over the last few years. I would love to hear from you if you don't mind responding thanks! Fiona

  2. Hi Fiona, the carpet looks great. There's no apparent changes in colour or wear issues in trafficked areas. We are very happy with our choice. Note that it is in an upstairs main bedroom, so it does not receive as much as wear as it might if used in a main living area.

  3. that's great - ours is for upstairs bedroom also so hat's not problem. glad to hear it's lasting well and you are happy. thank for your time in responding.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walk-in pantry: advice for designing yours

Now we've been in our renovated home for a week, we've picked up on some minor issues that anyone considering a walk-in pantry or butlers pantry may want to consider. I think we got ours right, and the minor issues are ones we'll correct ourselves, shortly, at low cost.

 Our pantry is exactly that on most days - a pantry. There's no sink, no oven or hot plates, and no exhaust fan. It does have a microwave and a milkshake maker, storage for irregularly used appliances, and a bench top that can be worked on. We could fit plumbing for a sink later, but can't see a need right now.

Big cost savings can be made with a walk-in pantry. By having a separate room and door, there's absolutely no need for cupboards and cabinet doors within the pantry. Think of the pantry as a cupboard!  Bench tops can be practical and not showy - you don't need Corian or Caeserstone surfaces. A walk-in pantry is a separate room, so soft-close drawers to keep noise down aren't …

How to install a new garden tap for your vegetable garden

The day before the turf for our lawn was laid, I used a trenching shovel to quickly dig a trench from our existing tap on the back wall of the house, to the edge of our raised vegetable patches.

I laid a length of 25mm blue line PE pipe ("poly-pipe") and back filled the trench. I fitted a right angle elbow fitting to either end, with a short length sticking in the air, clear of the soil, so the line wouldn't become blocked.

During summer, our gardening efforts were focused on establishing the new lawn, so we didn't plant any vegetables.  Then last weekend, about six months after we laid the lawn, I completed the garden tap after speaking to a plumber about my options for connecting the pipe to the water supply.

In the end I took the easy and cheaper DIY option. At Bunnings I bought the tap fittings for the garden end, and quickly screwed it together.  A star dropper and some cable ties provide temporary support until I put in place a more substantial post.

The other …

Monkey bars!

A few months back we picked up a discounted set of monkey bars (aka horizontal ladders) from Bunnings.  They were reduced from $299 to $80 because the packaging was damaged and the bolts for attaching the bars to wooden posts were missing. There were about four sets of bars on sale.

Last weekend I started assembling them myself, using about an extra $175 worth of materials (bolts, washers, nuts, four cypress pine posts, quick set concrete).  When it came to erecting them I needed a helping hand, which I received yesterday.

In the process of working out how and where to assemble them I found that the recommended height is 1.8 - 2.0 metres, and preferably 1.8m.  Soft fall is also important, to a depth of 250-300mm for up to 2.5m around the bars (Playground Equipment Safety Bulletin, February 2011). The Bulletin provides advice about selecting soft fall materials.

We've generally followed this advice, although without soft fall for a little while. The Bulletin identifies the following…