Skip to main content


In 2006 we purchased a 1960's era cream brick house on a large block (about 0.2 acres) in Cheltenham, a suburb of Melbourne in the State of Victoria.  The land for our block was sub-divided in 1962, and we think it was transferred to the person that we later bought it from in 1963 when a mortgage was first recorded on the title.

We moved from a beautiful 1950's era renovated weatherboard home on a sub-divided block, only a short walk away.  The primary purpose was to obtain land so that we could one day have a modern family home by renovating and extending the original house.

Before we moved in we took some photos when the previous owner was still resident.

This is the kitchen. During our first renovations we found marks in the floor suggested a different layout for the cabinets, so they might not have been the original cabinets.

With the silver and red highlights in the cabinet doors, it was probably a very trendy kitchen in the 1960's or 1970's.

The open plan living and dining area looked like this.

The bathroom was original.

The backyard was huge for us - we'd moved from a dual occupancy block (ie a place where the original house block had been subdivided into two, with only a courtyard back garden).  The garden was dominated by a large, leaning, gum tree, that provided beautiful shade.  Unfortunately it was severely damaged in a storm in 2007, and we had to remove it.

The front of the house was a low maintenance garden, planted with mostly natives, and heavily mulched.

Before we moved in we repainted the interior of the house, removed the carpets from the hall, living and meals area, removed the vinyl floor from the kitchen, had the floors sanded and polished, and we modernised the bathroom and toilet.  Soon after we had separate ducted heating and cooling installed - over-sized units to allow for a future extension.

Later we also erected a front fence, and remodelled the front garden to create a children's play area, in lieu of the back garden.  The large lawn area in the back garden had died off during the ongoing drought, and without any shade trees, we found more enjoyment in the front garden.  We didn't want to invest in landscaping the back given our plans for an extension.

In 2009 we had plans drafted for the extension, in early 2010 we sought quotes from builders and in July 2010 we commenced substantially extending and renovating the house.

The photos below show what we commenced the project with, in July 2010, including the second hand kitchen we installed before moving in.

Our renovation was successfully completed on budget, and ahead of time, by Makay Constructions of Cheltenham, Victoria.  Please read our main blog, from July 2010 to February 2011 to see the transformation of the above house to our renovated and extended, modern, home.

Popular posts from this blog

Walk-in pantry: advice for designing yours

Now we've been in our renovated home for a week, we've picked up on some minor issues that anyone considering a walk-in pantry or butlers pantry may want to consider. I think we got ours right, and the minor issues are ones we'll correct ourselves, shortly, at low cost.

 Our pantry is exactly that on most days - a pantry. There's no sink, no oven or hot plates, and no exhaust fan. It does have a microwave and a milkshake maker, storage for irregularly used appliances, and a bench top that can be worked on. We could fit plumbing for a sink later, but can't see a need right now.

Big cost savings can be made with a walk-in pantry. By having a separate room and door, there's absolutely no need for cupboards and cabinet doors within the pantry. Think of the pantry as a cupboard!  Bench tops can be practical and not showy - you don't need Corian or Caeserstone surfaces. A walk-in pantry is a separate room, so soft-close drawers to keep noise down aren't …

How to install a new garden tap for your vegetable garden

The day before the turf for our lawn was laid, I used a trenching shovel to quickly dig a trench from our existing tap on the back wall of the house, to the edge of our raised vegetable patches.

I laid a length of 25mm blue line PE pipe ("poly-pipe") and back filled the trench. I fitted a right angle elbow fitting to either end, with a short length sticking in the air, clear of the soil, so the line wouldn't become blocked.

During summer, our gardening efforts were focused on establishing the new lawn, so we didn't plant any vegetables.  Then last weekend, about six months after we laid the lawn, I completed the garden tap after speaking to a plumber about my options for connecting the pipe to the water supply.

In the end I took the easy and cheaper DIY option. At Bunnings I bought the tap fittings for the garden end, and quickly screwed it together.  A star dropper and some cable ties provide temporary support until I put in place a more substantial post.

The other …

Monkey bars!

A few months back we picked up a discounted set of monkey bars (aka horizontal ladders) from Bunnings.  They were reduced from $299 to $80 because the packaging was damaged and the bolts for attaching the bars to wooden posts were missing. There were about four sets of bars on sale.

Last weekend I started assembling them myself, using about an extra $175 worth of materials (bolts, washers, nuts, four cypress pine posts, quick set concrete).  When it came to erecting them I needed a helping hand, which I received yesterday.

In the process of working out how and where to assemble them I found that the recommended height is 1.8 - 2.0 metres, and preferably 1.8m.  Soft fall is also important, to a depth of 250-300mm for up to 2.5m around the bars (Playground Equipment Safety Bulletin, February 2011). The Bulletin provides advice about selecting soft fall materials.

We've generally followed this advice, although without soft fall for a little while. The Bulletin identifies the following…